Thursday 26 March 2009

A Stab in the dark, An afternoon with Richard Brook.

Firstly the interview,


How and when did you become interested in acupuncture?

It was when I was 17, I was already interested in yoga and Ti chi and its grown from there. I first properly started in my early 20's around 2004. I actually use to live with a new age community in Scotland and from that I have tried to make every part of my life holistic.

I sort of found my course through having a vision in a native American dance ceremony, at the time it didn't make much sense, but after I ended up at open night at a college a started thinking about it and what it could mean. Then absolutely by coincidence the instructor started talking about things that had appeared in my vision, I got goosebumps and it became clear that this was something I needed to do.


What type of training did you receive prior to obtaining your license?

I had bit of training before I started on acupuncture, some energy healing with my hands and reflexology but not to any real accredited standard.

I have a degree in food technology, which I saw as more similar to art, It was all to do with natural cycles.


Do you think a patients attitude towards acupuncture influences the success or failure of the treatments?

No, I believe that if some ones got that mindset it won't matter. It will still work. I think that them not believing in it is a sign of them losing touch with nature.


What about pain, do you think if somebody thinks its going to hurt it will?

Well every one has their own personal pain threshold. But feeling pain is a good thing, remember its just your body telling you what's what. It's the feeling of being connected with nature.

What might a typical treatment entail?

I start with a consultation and from that I'll try to gather what needs attention. Before I start with the actual treatment I'll also do a few physical exams to get a bit of diagnostic information, each exam I do gives me an idea of what's going on in your body.


How long would a typical treatment last?

The first will usually be around two hours with follow up treatments around forty five minutes.



My experience.


I must admit to prospect of acupuncture was daunting, now I'm no stranger to needles having my fair share of tattoo's and I have had pretty much every other holistic therapy under the sun.

But there will always be something about acupuncture.


The first thing everyone's wondering about is does it hurt? Well yes and no, some bits hurt and others I barely felt go in. The worst for me was the forehead and the inner arms and wrists. I should consider myself lucky as according to Rich traditionally instead of having a needle either side of the wrist you have one going straight through.


To be honest I did feel very relaxed during the treatment, but it's hard to say what its done to me in the following weeks as I didn't really have anything wrong with me.


But I do have to say lying there in my boxers with needles in my chest was a very surreal experience. Although as Rich said this is text book acupuncture action.


Richard uses a very traditional approach, which is called the five point style. It has a lot to do with natural living and communicating with nature, as Richard says we have lived for thousands of years with nature but now we seem to of fallen out with it, and it seems the more we try the more we mess up. We need to try to get it back.


I would recommend acupuncture to people and not just for physical but for emotional pain, one particular thing Richard mentioned is that its good for stress. Great news for all you dissertation stretched students out there. Even greater news is that he is willing to offer a huge student discount.

Usual treatments cost £55 to start and £35 for subsequent treatment, But for students he's asking just £15 per session.

No comments: