Tuesday 24 March 2009

Student Groan

I mean is it just me or are they genuinely malicious to student kind? I mean do they actually get a kick out of torturing us?
Yes they give us money so I suppose we shouldn’t moan, but I would add, they don’t half make us jump through hoops for it.
What do you think the average amount of forms a student has to complete in order to get a loan? Yes that’s right it’s thirteen hundred. What makes them so stony hearted? Then again I suppose sitting at a phone all day deciding who gets money and who doesn’t would get anyone going on a massive power trip. Then again on the other side I suppose giving students money to piss away every day must get a little annoying.

Now I don’t want to accuse the Student Loans Company of been a massive unorganised mess, but it just is. After I had trouble getting my loan I phoned up to ask what was wrong, they actually spent ten minutes trying to convince me that I hadn’t applied. Also the last time I checked three working days does not equal roughly two and a half weeks.

And that’s not the start of my trouble, after negotiating the terms for the release of my drinking budget. I was told by them that I shouldn’t have bothered applying online as it hardly ever worked and entered you into the system…
Fantastic.

I’m not the only other student with issues; the amount they give you seems completely random, I know people how get one thousand and people who get two thousand and any number in between. The official line is that it’s your parent’s income that affects the amount of loan you get.
Bollocks.

People have put down the exact same thing and still get different amounts, what you get depends on the mood of the button presser who we can only surmise is jealous that we bright young things are tearing up the black country while their stuck in Glasgow tapping keys.

The worst case I have heard is off one poor soul who sadly lost one of her parents, the student company have refused to take this into account. So she gets the bare minimum despite the fact that her household income has dropped by something like 70%.

But all is not lost as today I received my first instalment, two days after everyone else got their second through. My late arrival of funds means I am well overdue on my rent payment which brings me onto another student friendly organisation.

Has anyone had to dabble with the Universities financial department yet? For two months now I have been appealing to be released from my contract on the grounds that I can’t pay. Not good enough grounds apparently, so instead of releasing me because I can’t afford it their going to carry on charging me money I don’t have and because of this I have been blocked off every university system, makes getting assignments done and handed in a bit tricky.

So it looks like it’s going to be as hard as it was getting out of halls as it was getting in, can anyone think back to the fault with the online form to register accommodation? The genius form which every time you logged in to approve your offer looped you right back to the login screen?

Jeez Louise, anybody have trouble getting connected to the Internet at halls? Yeah thought so, it’s pathetic, you can go on for hours about the wonders of Cisco Clean Access, is there a particular reason why F-Secure the recommended Anti Virus blocks Cisco from popping up? Yeah, sometimes I really wish I hadn’t bothered coming to this polytechnic.

No comments: